Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Think Maybe You Could Kinda Sorta Use an Editor, Perhaps

This Wikipedia page contains one of the most needlessly elongated sentences I have ever seen:
According to authoritative sources, many people have said that vodka has in many cases been known to also frequently be the drink of choice for alcoholics in the majority of some of the parts of Central and Eastern Europe, mainly due to its relatively high alcohol content, relatively low price, and the relative unavailability of neutral grain spirits throughout regions included within these areas.
I would suggest that you do a shot for every unnecessary clause, but I don't want to be responsible for any alcohol poisoning.

I'll be generous and assume that the person who wrote this is either a non-native speaker of English (maybe from some parts, regions, or areas of Central or Eastern Europe?) or that they were relatively drunk at the time.

No comments: