Sunday, December 21, 2008

Guess Who Batman

So, I finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight this weekend. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Anyway, it seems silly to add my two cents to the heap of praise that the movie has already received (as one astute critic noted, the film "TOWERED ABOVE ALL THE BULLSHIT LIKE A FUCKING OBALISK OF OWNAGE"). I must say, though, that I was impressed by some of the actors who turned up in smaller roles. Look, it's William Fichtner in the opening scene! Hey, Richard Alpert got elected mayor of Gotham! There's Sen. Patrick Leahy, talking back to the Joker! I guess once you've faced off against Dick Cheney, that sort of thing comes easily.

And speaking of the caped crusader, I remember reading years ago that Darren Aronofsky was planning to direct an adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One, but the project never came to fruition. I only recently learned more about how Aronofsky wanted to adapt the material, but now I completely understand why a studio would be reluctant to kill off their star superhero franchise in ways that Joel Schumaker could only dream of. Still, I would've liked to see that movie.

No comments: