Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Old School

I don't know how I managed to miss this, given my obsessions with any mention of schools I've attended or places I've lived, but it looks like my alma mater made a bit of news about a month ago. The synopsis: College Republicans bring Ann Coulter to speak on campus (because that's what they do), protests ensue, some student gets arrested for disrupting Coulter's speech, arrest is captured on video, kid becomes campus cause celebre.

I'm no authority on protesting strategies; when I was in school and some fundamentalist preacher or anti-abortion group was hanging around on campus, I tended to walk very quickly in the opposite direction. Still, if you're going to get arrested for a cause, I hope it's something more important than Ann fucking Coulter.

No comments: