Friday, May 16, 2008

What I've Tasted: Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash

I've got a dentist appointment in a few days, so I've been paying a little more attention than usual to my oral hygiene routine. I've had a lot of bad mouthwash experiences in the past. Every time the good folks at Listerine or Scope unveil a fantastic new flavor, I rush out to try it but only end up reminded that the unpleasant part of gargling experience isn't the taste (except for the yellow stuff; that shit is nasty) so much as the massive amounts of alcohol that burn your mouth within two seconds. So anyway, I was perusing the shelves at CVS when I saw Crest Pro-Health, which was advertised as having no alcohol. Even the name inspired confidence; who isn't pro-health? When I tried it that night, I discovered that it was, in fact, much easier to take than other mouthwashes. The mint flavor was no too strong, and while I did feel a tingle as I swished it around, it was nothing close to the burn I was used to. I spat it out, confident that this was my new go-to mouthwash.

Fifteen seconds later, it felt like I had been rinsing with a capful of pennies.

Seriously, this stuff has such a persistent, bitter aftertaste. The instructions say that you should use it after brushing and flossing, so I'm guessing that the pro-health benefits here are derived from brushing your teeth a second time.

No comments: