Monday, September 8, 2008

Bulletpost!

  • So this weekend, I finally got around to seeing Ghostbusters. It was one of those movies where I keep thinking, "Maybe if I'd seen this when I was 10 years old, or in 1984, I would like it." As it was, I could never muster any response more passionate than mild amusement. It's always a pleasure to see Bill Groundhog Day, Ghostbustin'-Ass Murray doing his usual wiseass schtick, and Rick Moranis was surprisingly funny as well, but overall it was a typical big-budget action-comedy in which the action isn't particularly exciting and the comedy isn't particularly funny. And dear God, those terrible songs. Now that I've seen it, though, I can start building my indifference towards the next sequel.
  • Somewhere on my massive to-do list, beneath such perennials as "Apply to grad school" and "Write long-form essay on Springsteen's The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle," is the more realistic goal of catching up on Battlestar Galactica before it returns in January (all together: "Nerrrrrrrrrd!"). I'm moving through the first season at a nice pace, and almost immediately I noticed that Colonel Saul Tigh bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain Republican presidential candidate. A quick Google search reveals that I am not the first to pick up on those similarities. The Sarah Palin-Laura Roslin comparisons, though, are slightly more far-fetched.
  • Finally, yesterday marked the fifth anniversary of Warren Zevon's death.




Go enjoy a sandwich in his memory.

No comments: