Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Noah's Ark of Television

So for the past couple of days, I've been working on a very long-winded post on all of the reasons that I was disappointed in Monday night's episodes of Heroes. Then I took a look in a mirror and was frankly disturbed by what I was becoming. So, I'll boil my argument down to its basics: the preventing-an-apocalyptic-future stuff is getting repetitive, the cast is too big, and the writers always act like they're going to kill off characters, but never have the guts to go through with it. Also, having someone record a DVD to be played after their death is perhaps the laziest method of exposition imaginable.

So, there it is: Heroes is a highly frustrating show, but one that I'll probably keep watching because it has the potential to be much better than it is. I was excited, however, to see Francis Capra's name in the credits this week. That got me thinking about the way the show tends to poach pairs of actors from better and more beloved shows: Sulu and Uhura from Star Trek, Weiss and Sark from Alias, and now Weevil and Veronica from Veronica Mars. I started musing that, maybe since The Wire is finished, the Heroes casting director can get a couple of guys from that show.

Well, you might be able to guess how this ends. Welcome aboard, Bubbles and Marlo!

No comments: