Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Thing That I Just Recently Noticed (But Which May Have Been Obvious to Everyone Else)

The lyrics to the Pixies' song "Debaser" are about Salvador Dalí & Luis Buñuel's notorious film Un Chien Andalou.

All this time, I thought Black Francis was singing "I'm a moon shed, and I'll lose ya."

On a somewhat related note, I just finished watching the first season of Weeds (my verdict: it starts badly, but improves quite a bit by the end), and I kept forgetting to pay attention to the original music, which was composed by Pixies guitarist Joey Santiago. Santiago had previously scored Judd Apatow's short-lived series Undeclared. Liz Phair, meanwhile, writes the music for Swingtown and the new version of 90210, and Everlast apparently does the music for Saving Grace. It seems that composing incidental music for television is the favored day job of well-known musicians who have lost their popularity, their indie cred, or their band-mates' willingness to extend their reunion tour.

No comments: