Saturday, July 19, 2008

I'm Always Late to the Meme

It's been a couple of weeks since I first came across this, and I figure I'd better post my own before it loses all sense of timeliness. So here goes: my favorite album from each year I've been alive (with annotations!):

1982: Prince - 1999 [1]
1983: R.E.M. - Murmur
1984: Prince - Purple Rain
1985: The Smiths - Meat is Murder [2]
1986: The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
1987: U2 - The Joshua Tree
1988: Traveling Wilburys - Volume I [3]
1989: Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
1990: They Might Be Giants - Flood [4]
1991: U2 - Achtung Baby
1992: R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
1993: Pearl Jam - vs.
1994: Jeff Buckley - Grace [5]
1995: Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
1996: Wilco - Being There
1997: Radiohead - OK Computer
1998: Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Live 1966 - The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert
1999: Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner
2000: Outkast - Stankonia
2001: Bob Dylan - "Love and Theft"
2002: Bright Eyes - Lifted, or the Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
2003: Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
2004: Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South [6]
2005: Kanye West - Late Registration
2006: The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
2007: Feist - The Reminder [7]
2008: The Hold Steady - Stay Positive [8]

Feel free to create your own list and/or make fun of my highly pedestrian taste.

----------

[1] In the course of making this list, I discovered that I don't really own any albums released in 1982. I picked up a copy of 1999 on vinyl a few weeks ago, but haven't heard it yet due to my lack of a turntable. Still, it got in by default.
[2] Tough choice, with a lot of seminal college-rock albums that I like, but don't love (New Day Rising, Psychocandy, Tim). The Smiths won because of familiarity, and because Meat is Murder is one of those albums that I will forever associate with a specific time and place.
[3] "Hey, wasn't Daydream Nation released that year?" Hey, I'm not doing this to look cool. OK, I am, and I'm failing.
[4] Nerrrrrrrrd alerrrrrrrt!
[5] A tough choice between this and Stone Temple Pilots' Purple. Yes, I am serious.
[6] A really good year, with Drive-By Truckers narrowly beating More Adventurous, Funeral, and A Ghost is Born.
[7] If you ask me a week from now what was my favorite album from last year, you will almost certainly get a different answer. I'm yet to fall in love with anything that was released in '07.
[8] To be fair, I haven't spent a lot of time with most of the albums I've bought this year, like the new Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket, and R.E.M., and the debuts of Duffy and Santogold. That said, I really, really, really like Stay Positive.

No comments: