Saturday, November 3, 2007

Another Bullet-Point Filled Post

Shit, that's right...I've got a blog that customarily needs to be updated from time to time.
  • There was a brief time when, after Dennis Kucinich's UFO question at this week's Democratic debate, I was worried that extraterrestrials would become the dominant theme of this campaign, especially after Chris Matthews kept fixating on it during the post-debate show. Thankfully, this doesn't appear to be the case. I guess that's about par for the course when you have a debate in Philly: lame Rocky references and one of the most inane questions ever asked of a presidential candidate.
  • Whenever I see a new Domino's commercial on TV, I have the same reaction as when I see competitive eating contests or people flagellating themselves as part of religious rituals: How could anyone do that to their own body? After successfully (?) combining pizza with dessert, the chain's latest project is the Crispy Melt Pizza. To be honest, the concept seems a little pedestrian; I'm surprised that they resisted the temptation to put even more cheese on top of the thing. Maybe they'll gradually add layers until they wind up with something like a pizza baklava.
  • I sometimes wish it were possible to temporarily erase a specific part of my memory, so that I could watch Psycho without knowing all of the twists, or re-read all of the Calvin and Hobbes or Far Side cartoons and have the jokes all be new to me. Sometimes, though, my own fallible memory lets me experience something like that, like a couple of days ago when I re-listened to Thunder, Lightning, Strike by the Go! Team. It seems that every year or so, I forget what an awesome, fun album that is and get blown away by it all over again. If you've never been fortunate enough to hear it, I urge you to get a copy and listen to it for the first time on my behalf.
  • Finally, this is a very special weekend: Jerry Seinfeld's Bee Movie opens in theaters! I don't plan to see it, of course; I'm just excited that perhaps now I'll be able to watch television without being confronted by Mr. Seinfeld's voice making sure that everyone on the planet, including coma patients and Nepalese monks, are sick of hearing about the damn thing.

No comments: