Tuesday, November 20, 2007

This Just In: The Onion is Funny

From the "True, It's Funny Becuase It's" file, this Onion article on the special "Regular Monopoly" edition Monopoly reminded me of this post on the ridiculous number of movie and TV show tie-ins that dominate the board game industry. Does Milton Bradley or Parker Brothers even employ people to think up ideas for new games anymore, or do they just slap a picture of Elmo on the box and call it a day? Could a game like Risk even be introduced today unless it were a tie-in to 300 or something? On the other hand, I'm kind of disappointed that the Grey's Anatomy game in the picture is a straight-ahead trivia game and not a special version of Operation where you have to remove Meredith's feelings for McDreamy from her heart, or the homophobic slurs from Isaiah Washington's mouth (I've only seen one episode of the show, in case you're wondering, and just exhausted my knowledge of it).

Also great this week in The Onion, this cartoon is totally going on my desk if I ever get my act together and break into the library game. I guess I'm assuming that most librarians have desks, though. I should probably do some more research into that.

No comments: