Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My Calendar Has a Well-Known Liberal Bias, and Other Political Musings

Nerds have word-a-day calenders. Insufferably pedantic grammar freaks have daily calendars of commonly misspelled and misused words and phrases. I'm sure you'll be surprised to learn that I fall into the latter group. Every morning this year, I have woken up and enjoyed a moment of snickering over people who think the word "sherbet" has two R's. Today's entry, though, was surprisingly forceful (click to enlarge):

Damn! "Childish game" . . . "only succeed in making themselves sound ignorant" . . . that'll show Bush! Except I kind of doubt that he has this particular calendar on his desk.

*************

They say that if you don't vote, then you have no right to complain about your elected officials. Well, I have therefore guaranteed my right to bitch and moan for the next twelve months. The voter turnout at my polling place was an astronomical 42%, so I'm one of an elite group who turned out to make know my views on county councilmen, the school board, and about a dozen questions on the retention of judges.

I remember when I received my first absentee ballot my freshman year of college, I spent a good deal of time researching the various candidates, right down to the Greens and Libertarians; I was that concerned with making the most informed choice I could. Of course, that was the historic 2000 presidential election, so I guess my excitement was understandable. Had I turned 18 the summer before a municipal and judicial election, I wonder if I would have even bothered to request a ballot.

This year, early returns are indicating that the incumbents won and the challengers lost. Ain't democracy grand?

No comments: