Friday, August 10, 2007

Good News, Bad News

When I went over to The A.V. Club's newswire today, I was confronted by a pair of music-related stories about notable departures. First, the good news: 50 Cent says he'll retire as a solo artist if his album is outsold by Kanye West's new album when the two are released on September 11. If anyone is on the fence about buying Kanye's CD, this should be all it takes to get you to the record store a month from now.

As for the bad news, Factory Records co-founder Tony Wilson has died at the age of 57. I'm not about to prove my rock snob bona fides here; my only knowledge of Wilson's career comes from 24 Hour Party People. It doesn't take a music historian, though, to see the enormous debt that modern-day indie and alternative music owes to Joy Division, and anyone involved in their short career deserves more recognition than he's likely to get.

No comments: