Friday, August 10, 2007

I Am Naive: A One-Act Play

Susie Madrak:

So Rush Holt claims the reason the Dems voted for the FISA bill is because they were threatened in the following manner: “If you go home and something happens, we’re going to say it was your fault.”

. . .

It just makes me wonder: Do the Republicans want something to happen?


Me: Well, Susie, that's certainly an inflammatory question. Maybe I'm naive, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could be ghoulish enough to want another terrorist attack. Surely, though, this is only the sort of thing I would hear from a lowly blogger, and not a scholar or commentator.

Anne-Marie Slaughter, a scholar and commentator:

Here is my nightmare. The Cheneyites succeed in creating a situation in which Bush does decide to bomb Iran. Iran retaliates, as they openly threaten to do, with terrorist attacks against us on U.S. soil. That tilts the election. I can imagine a Karl Rove political calculation that would buttress a Cheney-Addington national security calculation, probably with Eliot Abrams' support.

Me: Hold on, Anne-Marie; I'm no fan of Cheney or his minions, but I refuse to believe that anyone could be soulless enough to provoke terror attacks in order to ensure some short-term political gain. Now, I may be naive, but...

Stu Bykofsky: "To save America, we need another 9/11."

Me: Well, hold on . . . I'm sure he's just using some kind of metaphor, right?

Stu Bykofsky:

America's fabric is pulling apart like a cheap sweater.

What would sew us back together?

Another 9/11 attack.

Me: [Staring, mouth agape]

Stu Bykofsky:

Is there any doubt they are planning to hit us again?

If it is to be, then let it be. It will take another attack on the homeland to quell the chattering of chipmunks and to restore America's righteous rage and singular purpose to prevail.

Me: But . . . did he . . . how is this even . . . [dies of shattered illusions]

[Curtain]

No comments: